Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Stripes Framework - Worth Trying

When I received an email a couple of weeks back from "The Pragmatic Bookshelf" about the book "Stripes ...and Java web development is fun again", I completely ignored the same. I didn't want to learn yet another web framework, and write a detailed review either. I wish I had signed up for reviewing this book.

Just a few days back, I read the article on "TSS" about Stripes called "A Stripes 1.5 Test Drive". The one and only one thing which attracted me to this article was that other than the web.xml file, there wasn't any XML configuration files to be written and to maintain.

I read the article with great interest, and also read the documentation on the Stripes web site. Next, downloaded the libraries and was able to get it working with the many samples I had in minutes. Yes, trust me just minutes.

So, I decided to do something even more interesting which I always do and surprisingly it worked like a charm. I am planning on writing a detailed article about how I was easily able to use Stripes with my existing sample projects.

Have you used Stripes? What do you think about the same? Isn't it a great framework?

Stay tuned about my article as well, I will keep you posted sooon.

If you haven't used Stripes, give it a try. You will be really surprised to see how easy it is to use Stripes.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Meera:

    I work with Stripes since a couple of years ago.

    Its by far the most powerful, elegant and easy MVC Action Based Framework.

    I love so much this framework that I develop with a friend IntelliStripes a plugin for IntelliJ.

    Mario Arias

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mario,
    100% true. Powerful and easy as well.
    BTW, I do have a license for IntelliJ IDE, where can I find your plug-in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think stripes is the king of the the action/command/front controller frameworks as wicket is the king of component frameworks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried Stripes and I really liked it. Though, I like Wicket even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stripes just works, i would have used it if i wasnt using grails..

    Still i do keep an eye on the project as well as click framework.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you on the pain that all those XML configuration files cause.

    I started off a project initially hoping NHibernate (a .NET port of the Hibernate framework) was the way to go for an ORM, but then I switched to LLBLGen Pro.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I get that many people don't like XML, I do think that it provides something that most applications lack: documentation. I'm currently on a project has literally zero documentation. The developers on the team gained their knowledge through hard work and what I can only assume to be sweat lodge visions. Attempting to migrate this beast to a new platform and lay modern-ish ideas into like JNDI based data sources was horrible. There was some redemption in the three different means of application configuration. Without these XML documents, I would never know how to put it together.

    I fear that with Stripes, I'd have to dig through hundreds of JSPs to find classes embedded and track those through the application base.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of the involvement of various experts implies a set of api or framework. So all are good, if you show interest in it. But as a senior we need to check how the developers or designers are comfortable within the framework. As a result, some are becoming popular and some are lagging behind.

    I too also ready to publish my own framework from www.microsyslab.com, a fast growing R&D software development company in coming future in India.

    My framework caters all rules, reports, pooling, etc from a single resource.

    ReplyDelete