Saturday, September 10, 2011

EJB 3.1 Cookbook - Review

Title: EJB 3.1 Cookbook

Author: Richard.M.Reese

Publisher: Packt

I received this book to review some time in June this year. Just two days after I received the book, we had to travel to India due to the sudden death of my Mother-in-law.
I came back from India, and was swamped with work for several weeks. Finally, this weekend I had some time to sit in front of my laptop and work on the review.

 I usually don't agree to review any books due to my busy schedule. However, took this offer just because it was a book on my favorite technology, EJB's.

The book covers the latest EJB version, 3.1. Like the name suggests it is a cookbook with lots of examples. If you are already familiar with using EJB and want to know new features of 3.1 than I would recommend you to go ahead and buy this book.

However, if this is the first time you are using EJB's, than this book doesn't cover all the technologies in detail. There are a few sections which I thought was not at all relevant to EJB 3.1, like

  • How to support currency
  • Using time with an EJB
  • Efficient manipulation of strings
And a few sections where the Author goes in detail in explaining how to
  • Validating null fields
  • Validating string fields
  • Validating temporal fields
  • Validation using regular expressions
  • Validating Boolean fields
  • Validating Integer fields
  • Using the Validator class
Do we need examples to know how to validate every type of field?
 
In the past few years I have been consulting, I have seen several Developers who need examples and samples for everything. If you are one such Developer, this is the book for you.
If you want more details about this book, take a look at the link below on Packt web site.
 1. EJB 3.1 Cookbook

So, what would be my rating for this book if you ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment