Sunday, December 16, 2007

Java 6, JBoss, Web Services : Fatal combination

As I mentioned in my previous post, JBoss 5 doesn't even start on Java 6. I have been having problems testing my EJB 3.0 web services which are deployed on JBoss. Not just this version, even the earlier versions which support EJB 3.0. The server log file does display the link for the WSDL for all the Session Beans published as web services.

I reverted to JBoss 4.2.1, but to no success. Every single web service I had earlier, worked on all these versions of JBoss, but once I changed my JDK it was a nightmare. None of them work if you are using Java 6. I have tried invoking these web services using SoapUI and VS.NET. No Success.

Just to make sure that these aren't just problems on my side, I tried deploying some web services using NetBeans 6.0 and deployed on JBoss. Same story.

I haven't yet tested my web services on other application servers. That's on my TODO list this week.

So long story short, if you have to use JBoss don't even bother installing Java 6.

Are you using having these problems? Did you find a workaround?

Here is a stack trace of the error on the JBoss Console.

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: setProperty 
must be overridden by all subclasses of SOAPMessage
at javax.xml.soap.SOAPMessage.setProperty(SOAPMessage.java:424)
at org.jboss.ws.soap.SOAPMessageImpl.(SOAPMessageImpl.java:65)
at org.jboss.ws.soap.MessageFactoryImpl.createMessage

(MessageFactoryImpl.java:115)
at org.jboss.ws.binding.soap.SOAP11BindingProvider.createMessage
(SOAP11BindingProvider.java:59)
at org.jboss.ws.binding.soap.SOAPBindingProvider.bindRequestMessage
(SOAPBindingProvider.java:89)
at org.jboss.ws.binding.soap.SOAP11BindingProvider.bindRequestMessage
(SOAP11BindingProvider.java:65)
at org.jboss.ws.jaxrpc.CallImpl.invokeInternal(CallImpl.java:645)
at org.jboss.ws.jaxrpc.CallImpl.invoke(CallImpl.java:404)
at org.jboss.ws.jaxrpc.CallProxy.invoke(CallProxy.java:148)

P.S:
I do have received an update on my previous post that
JBoss 5 beta 3 is going to be available this week.

10 comments:

  1. JBoss 4.2.2 or manual setup jbossws-native-2.0.1.GA on 4.2.1 solved this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JBoss 4.2.2 or manual setup jbossws-native-2.0.1.GA over JBoss 4.2.1 solved this problem

    ReplyDelete
  3. No luck, my EJB3.0 project didn't even deploy to this version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use JBoss 4.2.2 and as client NetBeans platform. Server module create with NetBeans 6.0
    Also outside php client connected to my webservices.
    No more.
    Which exception do you catch? Perhaps i already fix that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am using Java 6, are you using the same version as well?
    With Java 6, my app didn't deploy also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://jbws.dyndns.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Installation
    See "Using JBossWS with JDK 6"
    You should download jbossws-native-2.0.2.GA from http://labs.jboss.com/jbossws/downloads/ and copy the following jars to ${JBOSS_HOME}/lib/endorsed from ${JBOSSWS-NATIVE-2.0.2GA}/lib:
    jaxb-api.jar,jboss-jaxrpc.jar,
    jboss-jaxws.jar,jboss-jaxws-ext.jar, jboss-saaj.jar
    I have all running OK.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, in addition copy the jars from ${JBOSS_HOME}/lib/endorsed to your ${JAVA_HOME}/jre/lib/endorsed (this folder might not exist). This solved my problem for windows/ tanuki wrapper / jboss as a service.
    Regards,
    Ralf

    ReplyDelete
  8. get the jdk6 build of jboss, jboss-5.1.0.GA-jdk6.zip

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the info. I had posted this entry in 2007, I am sure JBoss has fixed the issues.

    ReplyDelete